The Oct. 12 fire engulfed the Valley Stream Auto Center at 245 Linden Boulevard in Elmont. Authorities said the accidental fire began when two mechanics at the repair shop were attempting to remove a gas tank from a vehicle.
A 42-year-old male employee attempted to stub out the flames, but was splashed with gasoline, which caused the fire to spread to his clothing. Police said he suffered second-degree and third-degree burns to his hands and arms. He was taken by police helicopter to Nassau University Medical Center in an unknown condition.
In a news release, police said the building that houses the Elmont business was severely damaged from the fire. Three cars in the shop were also left in ruin.
A total of 50 firefighters and five fire trucks responded to the scene.