A Long Island contractor was arrested last week on grand larceny charges after he allegedly took a $10,000 deposit to do work on homes damaged by Superstorm Sandy and took off with the cash, Long Beach police said.
Danny Silsbe, 58, was the owner of Heavy Construction and Disaster Relief LLC, cops said. He’s accused of taking a $10,000 deposit from the unidentified victims to lift their West End home, but cops said he never did any work on it.
For six months, the victims tried to call, email and text Silsbe. The victims also allegedly approached him to speak in person.
Despite their attempts, authorizes said, Silsbe “failed to commence any of the contracted work or return the $10,000.”
“The victims in this case tried everything they could to resolve this matter, but it became very apparent that Silsbe had no intention of ever performing the contracted work,” Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said.
After a hearing in August before the Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs, Silsbe’s licenses were suspended in Nassau County and the City of Long Beach, the news release said.
The victims called police in September and Sislbe was arrested on a charge of third-degree grand larceny on Oct. 29.
“Our investigation revealed that Silsbe moved from New York from Arkansas just after Superstorm Sandy,” Tangney said.
Silsbe was arraigned at Long Beach City Court and subsequently released on $1,000 bail. He is due to appear at the Nassau County Court in Mineola on Nov. 6.