It's been a banner week for local drug enforcement officers as police today announced yet another major drug bust - this one involving $4.9 million worth of marijuana.
Chicago police seize 125 pounds of pot and 9 guns in two drug raids -pictures
Cook County Sheriff's police are taking credit for this haul and they've charged five men for distributing pot from a home on the 3500 block of John Street in Steger.
According to a sheriff's spokesman, 1000 pounds of marijuana were found in the house. The pot was stored in cardboard boxes, plastic garbage bags and five-gallon buckets. (see slideshow)
Suspects were arrested as surveillance teams watched them leave the home and drive away. They were subsequently pulled over for traffic violations. The vehicles were then searched at which point police say they found containers of pot slated for delivery throughout Cook County.
- Jose Ortiz, 53, 2700 block of West 43rd St., Chicago
- Pedro Ramirez-Montenegro, 29, 2700 block of West 43rd St., Chicago
- Fidel Ramirez-Montenegro, 37, 2700 block of West 43rd St., Chicago
- Leonel Zepeda-Delgado, 32, 15500 block of Center Ave., Harvey
- Jesus Torres-Gomez, 42, 500 block of 8th St., Chicago Heights
Bond for each of the five is set at $400,000