Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Police detective: Evidence not consistent of a fight in Romanek assault case

Stanley Romanek

A report released Monday by the Loveland Police Department included statements from Detective Henry Stucky who concluded physical evidence was not consistent with a fight having occurred in the reported assault of Stanley Romanek. An investigation into the Feb. 24 incident resulted in no suspect leads, reported Stucky, who has now suspended the case due to lack of suspect information.

The several-page report was received Monday via email following a records request submitted last week to the LPD. The case report was not initially releasable, but its status was subsequently changed.

The report contained narratives from several LPD personnel about a second degree assault call concerning Romanek, who is an author and a self-described alien abductee whose reported experiences were the focus of a j3FILMS documentary. Romanek was arrested Feb. 13 and charged with two counts of sexual exploitation of a child. Soon afterward, on Feb. 24, Officer Tim Yunger was dispatched at 8:30 p.m. to McKee Medical Center following a call placed to police by a nurse at the facility. The nurse reported that Stanley Romanek had been admitted with injuries and that he did not know what happened.

Yunger proceeded to take statements from Romanek's wife, Lisa, who, according to Yunger's report, stated the two did not call police from their house because Stanley does not like the police. Yunger reported that Lisa went on to explain that Stanley had gone to get the mail around 8 p.m., but when he did not return after about five minutes, she went to check on him. The Romanek mailbox is in a community cluster box of mailboxes located a few houses down from their residence.

The narratives of Yunger and his fellow officers indicated Lisa explained that she found Stanley injured, disoriented and clutching a piece of blue cloth he suggested he ripped from the clothing of an attacker. LPD obtained the sample of cloth from Lisa, as well as a voluntarily submitted buccal swab, a non-invasive collection of DNA samples.

Officers pieced together that Stanley suggested the attack involved one or two individuals in a white SUV. Lisa apparently told police she briefly saw such a vehicle, but did not witness an attack. Stanley seemed to further suggest he thought something was thrown at him, seemingly a beer bottle. Detective Stucky indicated Romanek sustained a concussion, and the report suggested several additional injuries were also apparent, such as cuts. Lisa provided officers with a jacket he was wearing at the time which apparently had some tears and blood on it.

Officer Yunger described Stanley as not very cooperative, as other officers reported as well. “The cops jumped me,” Yunger attributed Romanek with saying.

Crime scene technician Officer Jennifer Hines described the cloth sample as looking like part of a shirt pocket. It appeared to be neatly torn, she added. Romanek reiterated his distrust for the police to Hines when she asked if he would be willing to provide a voluntary buccal swab.

Officers soon cordoned off the crime scene and evidence was photographed and collected. The scene included a broken beer bottle in front of the mailbox in question and a damaged set of eyeglasses located nearby. One of the technicians involved was Officer Doug Savage.

“Also near the mail boxes was a collection of blood spatter spots,” Savage reported, “all very circular and relatively tightly grouped together in front of the mail boxes on the sidewalk. I also noted a trail of blood from the mail box area back to just in front of Romanek's house...”

Detective Eric Lintz reported how he assisted Detective Stucky at the hospital and the crime scene. Like others, he too described Romanek as not fully cooperative, and stated that Romanek would not answer questions asked of him.

“While in the area,” Lintz explained in a report prepared in June, “houses on the street were identified for follow up to determine if any of the residents had witnessed anything. Officer Tim Yunger eventually contacted the residents of the homes with the best possible chance of hearing or seeing anything. After these people had been spoken to, no additional leads were generated from these conversations.”

Detective Stucky reported how Officer Yunger initially briefed him on the situation. Yunger informed him that Romanek stated he was assaulted by an unknown person he thought might be a police officer.

“I am familiar with Stanley,” Stucky explained in his report prepared Friday, “due to him having an ongoing case against him through the Loveland Police Department. I participated in a search warrant at his residence several months earlier, and I am aware of Stanley's distrust for the Loveland Police Department.”

“Stanley had a small piece of blue cloth, which appeared to be a piece of the breast pocket of a police uniform,” Stucky continued. “The cloth was square, and appeared that it was cut with scissors, and did not look like it was torn off during a struggle.”

Reporting his observations of the crime scene, Stucky noted that shards of glass from the beer bottle were confined to one small area, as if the bottle were broken right there. The detective suggested that if the bottle had been thrown at Stanley, glass shards would likely be spread out over a larger area. Stucky further noted that the eyeglasses, apparently belonging to Stanley, were smashed in a manner as if they were stepped on.

“There are no suspect leads in this case, and I am suspending this case due to lack of suspect information,” Detective Stucky concluded. “The physical evidence, specifically the neatly cut piece of cloth and the confined space the broken glass was in was not consistent with a fight having occurred.”

Report this ad