Two men from Central Islip have been arrested and stand accused of stealing ATM machines and cash during a six-month spree of commercial burglaries across Long Island, Suffolk County police said March 2.
Chanin Dennis, 44, and Arthur Henderson, 53, were each charged with six counts of third-degree burglary. Police said the two men were awaiting arraignment Sunday afternoon at First District Court in Central Islip.
Investigators charged Dennis and Henderson in connection with six commercial burglaries in Deer Park, Bay Shore, West Sayville and Patchogue. The burglaries, cops said, all occurred between September 2013 and last January.
Detectives said they were able to develop leads in the case after collecting forensic evidence at one of the burglary scenes. The unidentified evidence was analyzed by the police crime lab and “helped develop leas which led to the identification of the suspects,” a police news release said.
Police allege Dennis and Henderson are responsible for the following incidents:
- A Sept. 22, 2013 burglary at a BP gas station at 386 Commack Road in Deer Park
- An Oct. 28, 2013 burglary at JG Deli at 147 Main St. in Bay Shore
- A Nov. 5, 2013 burglary at a Citgo gas station at 1310 Fifth Ave. in Bay Shore
- A Nov. 18, 2013 burglary at Express Hero Shop at 2116 Union Blvd. in Bay Shore
- A Dec. 2, 2013 burglary at Ella’s Market at 14 Washington Ave. in West Sayville
- A Jan. 12 burglary of a Citgo gas station at 283 West Main St. in Patchogue
Investigators said the men made off with ATM machines and cash during the heists.
In announcing criminal charges, Suffolk County police said Sunday that Nassau County detectives are also investigating Dennis and Henderson for similar burglaries in Lynbrook, Valley Stream and Bellmore. Authorities said charges for those incidents were “pending.”
Anyone with information about the burglaries is urged to call Suffolk Fifth Squad detectives at 631-854-8552 or anonymously call Suffolk Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.