Surviving his tour in Afghanistan, Petty Officer 2nd Class Pasquale Troisi, 31, was home from war and celebrating a safe deployment when his homecoming party went terribly wrong.
Troisi died this morning from burns suffered at the Feb. 22, "welcome home" celebration.
The backyard party in the suburbs of Philadelphia was a way for friends and family to salute the Navy sailor and thank him for his service. But when a well-intentioned friend added gasoline to a struggling fire in an outdoor chiminea, the burst of flames engulfed the sailor and left him with burns over three-quarters of his body.
Troisi was whisked to Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia where he had remained in a drug-induced coma since his admission three weeks ago; a coma from which he would not wake up.
A family friend, who reportedly tackled Troisi in an attempt to smother the flames that day, suffered non-life threatening burns on his hands. He was treated and released.
Funeral arrangements for Petty Officer 2nd Class Troisi have not been announced by his family. He was a resident of Santee, Calif.
A photo of PO2 Troisi was not available at time of publication.
The National Military Examiner publishes military and military-related content from around the world that often misses mainstream media, including all troop losses.
More related articles here on Facebook. "Like" the page for Facebook feeds.
Use the SUBSCRIBE icon on the top or bottom of this page for instant updates.