California Living© TV series creator and host Aprilanne Hurley set out to “demystify” the wine experience for wine lovers and discovered when a Napa Valley winery such as PlumpJack Winery is acclaimed for producing “The #1 Wine in the World” the wine tasting experience is going to be equally exceptional.
Happily for wine lovers and nutrition enthusiasts, red wine possesses proven health benefits, which is why red wine is also as a signature healthy indulgence on the Party Girl Diet. Engaging in the experience of wine tasting, especially at the PlumpJack Winery in Napa Valley, CA is also a great way to expand your knowledge and enjoyment of wine, with the added opportunity to learn more about the wine making process overall by attending one of their facility tours.
For the inside look at the PlumpJack Winery wine tasting experience, check the California Living© with host Aprilanne Hurley TV segment on the left, which delivers a rare look at how PlumpJack Winery managing partner John Conover and founders, former San Francisco Mayor and present California Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom and Gordon Getty of San Francisco adapted the ‘screw-cap” method on their high end bottles of PlumpJack wine. You can also visit CaliforniaLiving.TV to watch Part 1 of this California Living Food & Wine Special for the inside look at the PlumpJack Group brand and inspiring lifestyle company philosophy.
Tune in to catch the full “PlumpJack Experience” episode on California Living© with host Aprilanne Hurley on ION Television in the San Francisco and Sacramento markets on Thursday, October 3, 2013 @ 6:30 a.m.
Below is the wine and food-pairing recipe featured in this California Living© with host Aprilanne Hurley PlumpJack Winery Experience episode, which pairs Cabernet Sauvignon with BBQ, compliments of former Executive Chef Kimbal Jones. Carneros Inn & Spa, Napa Valley, CA:
New York Steak with Vegetable Couscous and Olive Salsa Verde:
• 4 – 8 ounce New York Steaks
• Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon tarragon
• 2 tablespoon parsley
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 clove garlic minced
• 1 jalapeno roasted, skinned, seeded and diced
• 1 1/2 teaspoon capers, diced
• 1/2 anchovy, minced
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
• 1 large green olive minced
• Lemon juice to taste
• 1 bunch asparagus, peeled and cut on a severe angle in 1 inch pieces
• 1 cup shelled English peas
• Meyer lemon olive oil
• 1 cup couscous
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Let sit out, covered, at room temperature. Start a medium size fire in a BBQ. Place a medium sized pot on the stove filled with water. Heavily season with salt and place over high heat.
- Chop the tarragon and parsley together and mix with the olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, capers, anchovy, lemon zest, and green olive. Add lemon juice to taste, a little at a time.
- Place the asparagus in the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the water and drain. Toss in a bowl with Meyer lemon oil and salt to taste. Add the peas to the water and cook until tender. Toss in a bowl with Meyer lemon oil and salt to taste. Reserve.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the couscous, stirring it in. Bring back to a boil. Turn the heat off and cover the couscous with a tight fitting lid.
- Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the couscous with a fork. Toss in the asparagus, peas and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper and combine all of the ingredients.
Next – Grill the steaks until medium rare (internal temperature of 120 degrees) about 10 minutes or so depending on the thickness of the steak. Let rest on a plate for 5 minutes. Divide the Couscous among 4 plates. Cut each steak in half on the diagonal. Place on top of the couscous and top with salsa Verde.
Serve with your favorite PlumpJack Cab...and enjoy some real California Living with Aprilanne