Any year that includes the opening of a world-class jazz venue in our front yard and the issuing of a Ray Charles postage stamp deserves a proper send-off. So why not bid a fond farewell to 2013 at one of these high-octane Bay Area jazz shows:
- Bobby Caldwell, a gifted and long-running vocalist who neatly blends the crooner and singer-songwriter traditions, ring-a-dings in the new year with shows at 8 and 11 p.m. Tuesday at Yoshi's Oakland. $65-$85
- Master timbalero, Latin jazz polymath and Bay Area treasure Pete Escovedo sends the old year out dancing with his hard-driving orchestra, 9 p.m. Tuesday at SFJAZZ Center. $75-$125
- Nimble and soul-drenched vocalist Kenny Washington sends 2013 out in style, starting at 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Sound Room in Oakland. $65-$75
- Trombonist and conch shell artist Steve Turre cuts loose with fellow Rahsaan Roland Kirk admirer Terrie Odabi, starting at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at Cafe Stritch in San Jose. $15
- Jump jazz diva Lavay Smith sizzles the night away with guitar-organ duo Chris and Charlie Siebert, starting at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Royal Cuckoo organ lounge. Free!
Send tips, comments and good vibes to the author.