May 21, 2011 has already earned a place as a memorable date in the history of the world. While fervent followers of Harold Camping rehearse renditions of Kumbaya and await their ascent to Heaven, others have signed up on Facebook for ‘Post Rapture Looting.’ The popular Facebook page reads, ‘When everyone is gone and God’s not looking, we need to pick up some sweet stereo equipment and maybe some new furniture for the mansions we’re going to squat in.’ While that may sound intriguing, the more likely bet is the soon-to-be-raptured pawned anything of value long ago and are leasing their homes until the end of the month. But I’m sure that won’t stop post rapture looters from patrolling the skies for flying spirits and seizing the opportunity.
Whether you ascend to Heaven or descend to looting, here’s a soundtrack to accompany you - assuming you can still get a signal on your smart phone.
To listen to this playlist, click the ‘video’ button on the left side of the page, then click on the player to hear all of these songs in their entirety.
Playlist for the Rapture, Armageddon, the Apocalypse and the end of the world:
- Do You Believe In Rapture - Sonic Youth
- Shake Sugaree - Elizabeth Cotten
- People Get Ready - Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart
- Waiting For The End Of The World - Elvis Costello
- We’re Gonna Rise - The Breeders
- Babe I’m Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
- If You Leave - OMD
- Leave Before The Lights Come On - Arctic Monkeys
- Divine Intervention - Matthew Sweet
- Rapture - Blondie
- We Float - PJ Harvey
- Above The Clouds - Paul Weller
- Homeward Bound - Simon & Garfunkel
- Heaven - The Rapture
- It’s Martini Time - Rev. Horton Heat
- Glad To See You Go - The Ramones
- Shoplifters Of The World - The Smiths
- Burnin’ & Lootin’ - Bob Marley & The Wailers
- Been Caught Stealing - Jane’s Addiction
- Four Horsemen - The Clash
- Armagideon Time - The Clash
- The End Of The World - Laurie Anderson
- The End Of The World - The Cure
- It’s The End Of The World As We Know It - R.E.M.
- The Beginning After The End - Stars