Milwaukee County has many exercise areas for dogs. There are rules listed on these areas that pet owners are required to follow.
In the County off leash dog parks these are the rules:
1. No more than 3 dogs allowed per owner/guardian, per visit within the Dog Exercise Area (DEA).
2. The owner or owner representative must be present within the fenced enclosure of the DEA and is responsible and liable for behavior of the dog(s) at all times.
3. Owner/guardian Milwaukee County is NOT liable for the actions of any dog within or outside the boundaries of the DEA.
4. The owner or owner representative is responsible for cleaning up and properly disposing of dog excrement.
5. All dogs must display dog license and DEA tag while in the DEA (Wisconsin State Statute 174.07 and Milwaukee County Ordinance 29.01).
6. All dogs MUST BE current with vaccinations. All dogs are required to be current with rabies vaccination in accordance with Wisconsin State Statute 174.
7. The owner or owner representative must have in their possession a leash for each dog(s) and remain within view and voice control of their dog(s) at all times.
8. Dog(s) must be on-leash until entering the double-gated entry and make sure to close all gates behind you.
9. For the safety of your dog(s) and those of others, choke, pinch, spike, or training types of collars are not allowed in the DEA. Remove such collars upon entering the DEA.
10. Aggressive dog(s) and/or dog(s) with known aggressive behavior are prohibited from the DEA.
11. Female dogs in heat are prohibited.
Receipts of a daily permit must be kept with the owner or owner representative while the dog or dogs are in the DEA. Violations of these rules will result in fines and/or cancelation of the permit. It is also recommended that all vaccinations be current and that the animal is free of worms, ticks, fleas, and other parasites. It is not advisable to have puppies less than six months old in the DEA. Only dogs and their owners or owner representatives are allowed in the DEA. Humans cannot bring food or glass containers into the DEA.
Bay View Bark, a privately owned facility, also has similar rules. They are advocating special emphasis on dog etiquette in their park. They require dogs on leash when not in the play area. Owners or owner representatives must clean up after their dogs and are also responsible for proper conduct. Aggressive behavior is not tolerated. Children less than eight years old are not allowed in the play area and older children must be supervised by an adult. No food is allowed in the play area.
These simple rules will give Milwaukee area residents and their dogs years of good health through free running exercise. A well trained owner/dog team is always welcome.