Plated is a meal kit delivery service based in New York City that delivers all the ingredients you need to make a recipe of your choice from a weekly menu.
This weeknight-friendly version won't require a trip to the store to supplement the spice rack; most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry.
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, stemmed, and finely chopped
- One ½-in piece ginger, minced
- 1 lime
- 1 t soy sauce
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 1 ½ t ground allspice
- 1 ¼ t ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 T canola oil
- 1/8 t ground cayenne
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½-in cubes
- ¾ c water
- ½ c long-grain basmati rice
- 2 T cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the jalapeño, ginger, lime zest and juice, soy sauce, sugar, allspice, and 1 t cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the chicken and the spice mix, and toss to coat.
4. In a medium bowl, combine 1 T canola oil, the cayenne, and ¼ t cinnamon. Add the sweet potato, and toss to coat.
5. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until tender and golden brown on all sides, turning halfway, 20-25 minutes.
6. In a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine the water and rice, and bring to a boil. Stir once, then cover. Reduce the heat to low, and cook for 12 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for at least 10 more minutes. Then, stir the cilantro into the rice, and season with salt, to taste.
8. In a large ovenproof pan or heavy skillet, heat 1 T canola oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until browned, about 12 minutes.
9. Transfer to the oven, and cook for 12 more minutes. Then, flip the chicken, and roast until cooked through, 5-7 more minutes. Serve.