From coconut to almond and beyond, non-dairy milk beverages are becoming increasingly popular. Whether you like them because you're a vegan, choose them because you're lactose intolerant or just enjoy the variety, these plant-based drinks range from the delicious to the dubious.
We sampled a variety and found the ones that we're mooing for:
- Almond milk: Be cautious of brands that add sugar in any form. Look for unsweetened versions, such as Pacific Natural Foods Organic Unsweetened Almond Beverage (click for details).
- Coconut milk: We're cuckoo for this beverage. Use for coffee, tea or cereal. Choose an unsweetened brand, such as Coconut Dream Unsweetened Enriched Original Coconut Drink (click for details).
- Hemp milk: Get hip to hemp milk for its intriguing flavor. Our favorite: Pacific Natural Hemp Milk, Vanilla flavor (click for details).
- Soy milk: Higher in protein than other varieties, soy milk comes in flavors ranging from vanilla to chocolate to plan. Our pick: Silk Very Vanilla Soymilk Natural (click for details).
- Rice milk: Useful if you're having stomach problems, rice-based milk alternatives also come in various flavors. For something special on your cereal, try Rice Dream Horchata.