Memorial Day is almost here; therefore your Memorial Day barbecue planning should be in full swing. What kinds of food should you prepare for the big cookout? What games should you have lined up? How will you decorate the backyard with an American theme?
The date of Memorial Day 2014 is Monday, May 26, 2014. The dates for Memorial Day weekend are Friday, May 23 2014 thru Monday, May 26, 2014.
Let’s start with decorating your back yard in an American theme
- Get some red white and blue helium balloons from the dollar or party supply store.
- While your at the party supply store grab several small American flags, several red or blue little sand buckets (in the kids or beach section), red disposable table cloths, blue plates and cups and white utensils.
- Once you have the table cloths on the picnic or outdoor tables, randomly place the buckets in the middle of each table and fill ¾ way with sand/rice/rocks and place a flag or two in each bucket.
- Check out these free printable items from hoosierhomade.com
Next, let’s talk about games
Trivia games are always a great way to loosen people up and get them talking. So how about some Memorial Day trivia? Like the trivia idea? Then also consider:
- New Year’s trivia
- college hoops (NCAA) trivia
- Mardi Gras trivia
- Super Bowl trivia,
- And why not throw some Christmas trivia in the mix as well?
When you mix all of these together, you have a great variety of trivia questions.
Finally, let’s talk about the food!
First off, make sure the cook and his (or her) buddies know the cardinal rules of grilling etiquette. If you are going all out and cooking steaks, read up on how to grill the perfect steak. Memorial Day, also known as: the gateway to summer, is the perfect time to have all the family favorites:
- grilled corn on the cob
- juicy ripe watermelon
- groovy spring cupcakes
- P.S. don’t forget about the watermelon slushy!
Here are some additional recipes that will be great at you Memorial Day cookout:
- ambrosia salad
- broccoli salad
- red skin potato salad
- egg salad
- Ham and corn beignets
- strawberry shortcake on a stick
- chocolate chip cookies
Above all else, make sure to take time and remember our service men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice to defend our freedom. Have a fabulous Memorial Day barbecue and may God bless your families and the United States of America!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!