It’s not every day that we get to see glamorous Hollywood stars scrambling around for a paper plate and a slice of pizza.
Not only that, it’s hard to imagine that they would all squeeze in – all dolled up in their thousand dollar gowns and suits - just to get their faces included in a sea of celebrity photo “hogs and bombers” for an impromptu “selfie”.
The kind of stuff that we, regular folks, indulge in on any given occasion.
But amazingly, the stars can do what we can do, too – even on national TV.
At the prestigious 2014 Academy Awards held in Hollywood, Los Angeles last night, we all saw Brad Pitt standing on the aisle distributing paper plates and napkins to his fellow stars in the audience as comic host Ellen DeGeneres offered 3 big boxes of sliced pizza to any willing takers.
Later on, Brad was photographed chowing down a slice of pizza himself next to his partner,“Maleficent” star,Angelina Jolie.
Maybe there’s a grain of truth to what actor Kevin Spacey told an E! News host during the Oscar’s pre-show. Kevin said that Hollywood actors like him work hard and are not always as glamorous and as sharp as they look during the Oscar’s.
Do we see some raised eye brows yet?
Anyhow, we enjoyed the Oscar’s last night for all the not-so-extraordinary things that transpired during the show.
- Host Ellen Degeneres was not perfect with her delivery of some of her lines but she was pleasantly casual and quite funny.
- Pink did not do her usual acrobatics while belting a song in mid-air. She stayed perfectly grounded in her ruby red ball gown.
- The stage set and props were uncomplicated. Even Idina Menzel’s stage and light effects during her performance of the Disney winner “Let It Go” was not spectacular.
- The winners did not appear like they were on a time bomb when they were saying their acceptance speeches. By the way, the Best Acceptance Speech Award should go to Jared Leto, Lupita Nyong’o, Matthew McConaughey and John Ridley.
- Iconic U2 lead singer Bono was shook up – literally -by Kristen Anderson-Lopez, the wife of Robert Lopez, the husband and wife team who beat U2, Pharrell Williams and Karen O to win the Best Original Song Award (“Let It Go” for the Disney animated movie “Frozen”).
- The stars acted normal.
- Oh and JLaw tripped again on her way to the Oscar’s.
Maybe the impenetrable curtain that used to separate glitzy Hollywood stars and the regular film patrons has long been shattered by social and interactive media that we no longer wonder what the stars do and what they can be and what they look like when they’re not on the silver screen.
Since Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram invaded our private space, most of the once elusive and mysterious stars are now accessible to their fans 24/7.
Not a pleasant reality for anybody, even for those living public lives.
But going back to the Oscar’s, we never thought we would see the legendary Meryl Streep dance with Pharrell Williams without much coaxing, wait her turn to have a slice of pizza on her paper plate and get flanked by younger stars for a photo op or “selfie” that was originally intended for just her and Ellen.
Liza Minnelli got luckier on Ellen’s first “selfie” but she never got the chance on the second one.
Watching the laid-back Oscar’s last night was fun. It’s a refreshing change from the once old-fashioned, very stiff and very formal affair.
Last night, the atmosphere was relaxed and the stars were reachable.
We loved the Twitter-crashing “selfie”, the surprise pizza delivery, Pharrell’s "tipping-sorting-happy” hat, Meryl’s and Lupita’s funky moves and all the talented artists that contributed to the success of the film industry last year.
As Meryl Streep once said, “Just relax and enjoy it all.”
We surely did.