Pizza is one of America’s favorite junk food and it makes for an easy dinner idea. There’s nothing like folding a nice big slice or diving in to a loaded deep dish of your favorite pizza. In today’s carb resistant world, the pizza crust must go; therefore we take the pizza, make it pasta and put it in a pan to bake.
Never fear the loss of the crust! With all the fun toppings and fillers you can cram into this pizza pasta casserole, you won't have time to miss the crust.
Pizza as pasta in a pan
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni sausage
- 16 ounces pizza sauce
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic and green bell pepper. Drain excess fat. Stir in the noodles, pepperoni, pizza sauce and milk, and mix well. Pour this mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes, top with the cheese, then bake for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- You can use any pasta shape. Spiral pasta works well
- Play with the meat options: ground beef, pepperoni, sausage, chicken
- You can make this casserole ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a spell (for a few hours or overnight) before baking.
- Also, play with the veggie options: onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc
So they next time you get a hankering for pizza, try this pasta dish and see what you think! You can make it one more step healthier by switching out your regular pasta for whole wheat pasta. This would be a great way to introduce your family to whole wheat pasta, since it will be covered in sauce.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!