Looking for a fun getaway from L.A.? Take the family to Ojai—just a scenic two hour or so drive from Los Angeles—and savor the peak of Pixie Tangerine season. The city’s celebrating the sweet, juicy fruit throughout March with lots of fun treats.
In the spirit of the occasion businesses are offering specials featuring this favorite fruit that is unique to Ojai. Native to California, Pixie Tangerines, which come from Kincy mandarins, have been around since the 1960s when the Ojai Pixie Growers discovered that the Ojai Valley was the ideal place to grow these tiny tangerines.
Here’s a list and links to places to stay, dine and have fun:
- Enjoy a beautiful Pixie Tangerine Month inspired display at Terramor Organic Home.
- Have a healthy escape at The Oaks at Ojai which will be serving Pixie salads, and launching their Pixie Tangerine scrub on March 1st.
- The Lavender Inn will be offering Pixie Tangerines, Pixie orange muffins and juicing fresh Pixie Tangerines every morning to commemorate the season.
- Su Nido Inn and Casa Ojai will be offering 15% off accommodations and a complimentary Ojai Pixie gift basket filled with Pixies and two complimentary wine glasses to use while enjoying two free wine tastings for two at the Ojai Vineyard and the Ojai Beverage Company.
- Feast Bistro will be offering a Pixie Tangerine inspired dish all month, and visitors to Regalo Olive Oil can get a taste of the famous fruit at the pop-up Pixie Tangerine farm stand in Regalo’s tasting room.
- Grab some Pixie Tangerine cake at Marché Gourmet Deli, or some tangerine-inspired beverages, such as a mimosa, at Ojai Café Emporium, or a margarita at Agave Maria. Suzanne’s Cuisine will be adding an Ojai Pixie Tangerine Cosmo along with a Pixie dessert to their menu. Los Caporales Tequila Bar will be serving Pixie Tangerine Margaritas and a seasonal Pixie dish.
- Last, but not least, don’t miss the Pixie Tangerine Month display at Kingston’s Candy, where bags of Ojai California Orange Bubble Gum Balls will be on sale inlieu of the Pixie season.
The weather’s warming up so it’s a great time to jump and car and hit Ojai. In the meantime here is a link to places to buy tangerines to take home http://www.pixietangerine.com/pages/buy.htm.