Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Pit bull hailed hero for saving deaf teen from burning house

Indianapolis Fire Department

According to Thursday's publication of the Indy Star, a deaf teen was saved from a potentially deadly house fire in Indianapolis, Ind, by his faithful dog, a two-year-old pit bull named "Ace."

The boy, identified as 13-year-old Nick Lamb, was slumbering when a fire broke out on Wednesday afternoon inside of a home located in the 6400 block of Perry Pines Court. Tragedy was averted when Ace set out to wake Lamb by licking his face.

In a news release, Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith stated:

He was thankful that Ace entered his room and licked his face until he woke up,"

"The boy quickly covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt and exited the rear of the house."

Lamb, with his faithful canine companion at his side, was able to exit the burning home and then call 9-1-1 for help. Lamb recounted what happened:

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it,"

"I just wanted to get out."

The boy's mother arrived home from work shortly after receiving the unnerving phone call from her son about the fire. Mother Lindsay Bernard stated:

I went into a little bit of a panic,"

"When I got here ... the streets were covered. It was mainly just panic and chaos.

Lamb, Ace and the family's cat "Pixie," all survived the blaze which caused $175,000 in damage to the home. The fire is believed to have started in the garage - possibly from an electrical problem.

Link to interview with the family here.

If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog-related news, tips and advice, please click the word "Subscribe," near the top of the article.

Report this ad