Holiday celebrations are often remembered by the favorite family foods that you save for those special celebrations each year. One request that is made every year in many families is to bring that green pudding thing, which is officially named Pistachio Salad.
It is very simple to make and the Clumsy Gourmet gives her step by step instructions here. Kids really like this side dish since it's sweet and creamy and green.
Pistachio Salad Recipe for your Holiday Dinner
It’s hard to call this a recipe since it really is so easy to make but there are a few rules you must follow or it’s ruined.
- 1 package Pistachio flavored Jello Instant Pudding
- 2 Cups of milk (To make the pudding)
- 1 container of Kraft Cool Whip (Thawed) - any version works fine
- 1 can of Dole pineapple in juice(Your choice of chucks or crushed)
- Prepare pudding as directed on the box.
- Set in the refrigerator to thicken.Use a different bowl than the one you will use for serving. Kohl's has some beautiful serving bowls here and many are on sale if you don't have one you love yet.
- Pineapple preparation, completely strain the juice away from the pineapple using a mesh strainer or there will be too much liquid in your salad.
- This is the most important step. Add Cool Whip (reserving one big spoonful) and gently fold the whipped cream into the pudding. Do not over stir.
- Add the big spoonful you reserved to the top of your pretty green and white Pistachio Salad, cover and chill.
This can be made ahead the morning of your holiday event or family gathering. There are other variations which include adding chopped pistachios, pecans, marshmallows or leaving out the pineapple. Your family can create their own version to serve again and again each Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.
We hope you enjoy this version of Pistachio Salad.
Source: Clumsy Gourmet
For more recipes and food news you can use be sure to subscribe above and follow @JustAskChrissy on Twitter.