Turner Scott Motorsports (formerly Turner Motorsports) announced on Friday that Nelson Piquet Jr. will drive the No. 30 Chevrolet full-time for the team in NASCAR Nationwide Series competition in 2013. Piquet was previously a full-time competitor in the Camping World Truck Series for Turner Motorsports.
"I am very happy to be returning with Turner Scott Motorsports in 2013 and incredibly excited to be making the move to the NASCAR Nationwide Series," Piquet said. "I said from the very beginning of my NASCAR career that I wanted to go about it the right way and progress through the ranks when the time was right, that I wouldn't rush. I feel that 2012 was a really fantastic season for me and it provided me with the right opportunity to go to the next level."
Piquet already has four starts in the Nationwide Series under his belt. He became the first Brazilian to win in NASCAR national-level competition last year when he took the checkered flag in the Nationwide Series race at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis. It was his third-career start in the series.
Piquet has since made two trips to victory lane in the Camping World Truck Series, with both wins coming from behind the wheel of Turner entries in 2012.
"We are proud to continue our relationship with Nelson in 2013, and we are pleased to be the team where he will take his career to the next level," Turner Scott Motorsports co-owner Harry Scot Jr. said. "Nelson was tremendously successful last season, and he has proven to be an asset to Turner Scott Motorsports."
Chris Carrier, who was Piquet's crew chief in the Truck Series, will join Piquet on the No. 30 Nationwide Series team as crew chief.
"He (Piquet) and Chris Carrier are a really good match, and we're glad we can give them a chance to bring that chemistry to the Nationwide Series," Scott said.