Valentine’s Day is Friday and what better way to show your love than with cookies! Ok wine, chocolate, jewellery and lavish expensive gifts are fabulous too. But if you are on a tight budget, would like to do something nice for your office co-workers, the kids’ school class, friends or loved ones, this recipe for pink heart sugar cookies will brighten anyone’s day. Starting with the Old fashioned sugar cookie recipe and adding in some pink food colouring, you will have gorgeous cookies that are easy to make and even easier to eat.
And if you are looking for a decadent chocolate cookie, check out our dark chocolate heart cookies or the Oreo inspired Valentine’s Day cookies.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Old fashioned sugar cookie recipe
½ t pink food colouring
1 heart shaped cookie cutter
1. Cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mix in increments. Mix well.
4. At this stage, add in the ½ teaspoon of pink food colouring and mix until a uniform colour is achieved.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Put a handful of the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to ¼ inch thickness.
7. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Put the rolled dough, including the parchment paper, on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes or longer.
8. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out your cookies.
9. For best results, dip cutter in flour before using. Repeat with scraps after cutting cookies.
10. To decorate, you can sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sugar or coloured sanding sugar.
11. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.
12. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to a baking rack to continue cooling.