Preparing a pina colada dessert pound cake is a delightful way to bring something exotic to the dessert table. This cake is dense with a combination of coconut and rum flavorings. A cake that is elegant and great for entertaining guests. Enjoy the tropical taste and texture while biting down into a homemade baked cake baked to perfection.
- 2 ¼ cups of flour
- 1 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of butter shortening
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups of shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons of coconut extract
- 2 teaspoons of rum extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- In a mixing bowl blend together the shortening and sugar using an electric mixer.
- Then add the eggs one at a time blending them in with each addition.
- Mix in the coconut and extracts.
- In a separate bowl measure out the flour, salt and baking powder; and mix it up with a fork.
- Slowly add ¼ of the flour mixture and ¼ of the buttermilk to the mixing bowl with the sugar. Mix at medium speed until blended. Continue adding the rest of the buttermilk and flour ¼ at a time until it is all incorporated together.
- Next you want to add the shredded coconut. Fold the coconut shreds into the pound cake batter using a plastic or wooden spoon.
- Now pour the cake batter into a greased or sprayed loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until center of cake is cooked through.
- Remove cake pan from oven and set aside for 10 minutes on a trivet.
- Then flip the cake out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cooked transfer it to a cake platter.
- While the cake is still warm from the over dust some confectioners’ sugar over the top for a light glaze.
- Serve the slices with sliced strawberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.