Cookies made with pignoli cookies are like jewels crowing a tasty little treat. These traditional almond Italian confections bring out the taste of a bakery treat into your home without having to step out to make a purchase.
- 1 ¼ cups of almond paste
- ½ cup of sugar
- 4 egg whites, divided
- 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ cups of pignoli or pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 350’.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the almond paste and sugar until it has a crumbly texture to it.
- Then beat into the almond mixture 2 egg whites.
- Now gradually add the confectioners’ sugar a little at a time till the full amount is combined while mixing as the addition of the sugar is added.
- In a small bowl use a whisk to stir up the remaining 2 egg whites.
- In another small shallow bowl place the pignoli nuts into it.
- Roll the pignoli cookie dough into 1 inch balls.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper and line a cookie baking sheet.
- Now roll them into the egg whites then into the pignoli nuts and place on a cookie sheet leaving 2 inches between each cookie.
- Once all the cookies are placed upon the cookie sheet use a fork, the flat bottom of a glass or the palm of your hand to slightly flatten the cookies.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove the cookies once they appear to have a lightly browned color to them.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 1 minute before transferring them to a wire cooling rack.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing.
- Recipe yields approximately 2 ½ dozen cookies depending upon how you roll them.
- Place cookies in a freezer container and store for up to 2 months.
- Pignoli cookies are a special treat anytime of the year but are typically enjoyed by many and Italians alike during holiday times.
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved