Easter is a religious holiday that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus. Help your children understand the story of Easter with kid-friendly picture books that teach about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.
- "My Easter Basket and the True Story of Easter" by Mary Manz Simon: Each colorful item in a child's basket represents one aspect of the Easter account. Simple, rhyming text explains the Easter story in a fashion that young children will understand and remember.
- "The Parable of the Lily" by Liz Curtis Higgs: Maggie learns an Easter lesson about forgiveness when she rejects her father's special gift. In addition to bright pictures and the text of the story, each page includes a Bible verse.
- "The Story of Easter" by Patricia Pingry: In this book, children will read about Jesus the Good Shepherd who died for us, and they will also learn about modern Easter celebrations.
- "Easter Egg Haunt" by Mike Thaler: One boy's imagination runs a bit wild as his Sunday school teacher explains the Easter story to him. Despite the silly ideas he comes up with, he understands that Easter is all about Jesus.
- "The Very First Easter" by Paul L. Maier: Chris' parents read the Easter account from the Bible to him, and they discuss it together.
Find these and other Easter books at your local library. The main branch of the Peoria Public Library is located at 107 N.E. Monroe, Peoria, Ill. Children's books with interesting pictures and child-friendly text will help your kids remember the significance of Easter celebrations.