Bedtime isn't always children's favorite part of the day, but picture books with a sleeping theme can make the whole idea a bit more appealing. Getting ready for bed doesn't have to be a bore, and the following books will help children see the good things about putting on pajamas and snuggling under the covers.
- "The Going to Bed Book" by Sandra Boynton: Animals on a boat prepare for bed with pajamas, tooth brushing and exercise. When they finish getting ready, someone turns out the light, and the waves rock the friends to sleep.
- "The Napping House" by Audrey Wood: On a dreary day, a family piles into bed for a nap. The whole house is still, except for one wakeful flea, who changes everything.
- "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown: A small rabbit prepares for bed by looking around his room and saying goodnight to his beloved things.
- "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" by Kate Toms: Before bed, a mouse speaks to a star. He inquires about what the star sees, the composition of the moon and how many stars there are in the sky. He also wishes that he could experience life as a star.
- "Pajama Time" by Sandra Boynton: Getting dressed for bed has never been as fun as it is with "Pajama Time." Everyone, no matter what type of pajamas they wear, is invited to this join this bedtime party.
- "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" by Jane Yolen: It's not always fun to go to bed, but the dinosaurs in this book choose not to put up a fight. Instead, they pleasantly give kisses and snuggle into bed.
Find these and other sleep-themed books at your local library. The main branch of the Peoria Public Library is located at 107 NE Monroe, Peoria, Ill. For bedtime or anytime, these books are cozy reads that will warm your child up to the idea of a restful bedtime and a good night's sleep.