“We are excited to introduce tailgating prior to all Coyotes weekend home games this season,” Phoenix Coyotes President and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said in a team release. “We are very fortunate to live in a city that has such great weather during the hockey season so we are encouraging fans to come early to our weekend games and enjoy the great atmosphere outside Jobing.com Arena.”
The Coyotes are trying to bring in fans with an offer that is not the norm in the NHL. Yes some teams do offer tailgating at their arenas, most notably the Carolina Hurricanes, but the weather and limited parking at many venues takes away opportunities for any pre-game festivities in the parking lot.
Phoenix was second to last in attendance last season and the team’s new ownership is opening up a new avenue to bring in fans to Coyotes games. The Phoenix metropolitan area can claim 4.3 million residents, as of 2012, which makes it the 13th largest metropolitan area in the nation.
The Coyotes are trying to tap into the vast populous with a format usually reserved for football games. Many local fans are excited about the upcoming NHL season and the chance to tailgate with family, friends and other members of the Coyotes Nation.
"I think the owners of the Coyotes now encouraging the fans to tailgate is great," Coyotes fan Randy Castro (not related to the writer of this article) said. "That will attract a lot more fans just because a lot of fans didn’t know you could tailgate at a Phoenix Coyotes game and and not just the Arizona Cardinals. I will definitely be a part of a few tailgates this year with my friends and family."
Arizona's weather is conducive for outside festivities, especially in the Fall and Winter. Tomorrow's forecast for Glendale, AZ, home of the Phoenix Coyotes, is a high of 93 and a low of 63 degrees. Which led Coyotes fan Randy Castro to ask, "Where's a better place to tailgate than winter in Arizona?"
A complete list of guidelines for tailgating at Jobing.com Arena to allow for a great experience both inside and outside the venue are listed below.
Tailgating Guidelines for Coyotes Games
· Tailgating is ONLY allowed in the following parking lots for Jobing.com Arena Events: Lot A, Lot B, Lot G, Lot J, Lot K and Lot Y. Some of these lots may be restricted to permit parking only depending on the event.
· Tailgating is NOT allowed in any Westgate Parking Lots.
· Parking lots open up 4 hours prior to the event.
· Tailgating in the parking lots must be limited to the area directly in front of or behind the vehicle. Tailgating in empty stalls is prohibited. Tailgating equipment, such as chairs, tents, propane/natural gas grills and other items, cannot block drive aisles for vehicles or sidewalks for guests.
· Fans are permitted to bring up to a 10’ by 10’ shade tent. Tents that are used in the parking areas must not block drive aisles for vehicles or sidewalks for guests. They are not allowed to take up an extra space.
· Natural gas or propane grills are permitted. Charcoal grills are not permitted.
· Glass containers are not permitted in any parking areas.
· Please remember to throw away any trash to assist in keeping the area safe of trip hazards or debris.
· Any violation of these policies can result in revocation of parking rights and removal of the parking lot. Guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.