If you have a film or web series that will tap into the collective subconscious of the teeming masses, Phoenix Comicon—the signature pop-culture event of the Southwest—needs you!
Did you and your friends make a steampunk music video? Are you looking for a festival to screen your studio’s latest horror flick or gaming documentary? The Phoenix Comicon Film Festival celebrates all that is pop culture and is eagerly awaiting your film submissions! And here’s the best part: no submission fees. What part of “no submission fees” could possibly prevent someone from submitting their film to the 2014 Phoenix Comicon Film Festival? They should be arriving by the truckload already. With new accommodations for the film screenings, this years Comicon promises to be bigger and better than ever.
“We are expecting yet another record year for the con and the film festival” coordinator Jacob O’Neal said. “We will be accepting submissions postmarked as late as April 4th and there are no submission fees. Despite the growth of the festival we have still tried to make sure it is accessible to any and everyone by keeping it affordable. Because of the growth of the festival we have been moved to panel rooms right near the convention floor, giving us more visibility. We will have panel space available if any filmmakers in attendance would like to discuss their films. We have also added a new coordinator this year who will be doing a four day film school; educating people on the processes of filmmaking, as well as other panels” O’Neal said.
The Phoenix Comicon film festival accepts films of any length (from shorts to feature length), any type (documentary, fan film, narrative, web series, etc.), and almost any genre (science fiction, steampunk, horror, fantasy, etc.) Submissions for the Phoenix Comicon Film Festival are being accepted through April 4, 2014. Filmmakers will be informed of their selection status around late April to early May.
- There is no entry fee.
- Entrants must identify one person from your team to be the single point of contact for communications with Phoenix Comicon staff.
- Submissions will not be returned, therefore, please do not send your only copy.
- We at Phoenix Comicon are not responsible for any submissions lost or damaged in transit.
- Entrants do not need to attend Phoenix Comicon to be eligible.
- All films will be pre-screened by Phoenix Comicon staff to determine selection.
- Filmmakers will be informed of their selection status around late Apirl to early May.
- Selected films receive two full Phoenix Comicon memberships.
- Films will be screened in digital format.
- Films will be shown in a convention setting, not a movie theatre setting.
- Sound quality cannot be guaranteed.
- There will be an awards ceremony during Phoenix Comicon on Sunday.
- Awards include: “Best of Festival,” “Best of” each film type, “Best of” each genre, and “Best of Arizona.”
- The Phoenix Comicon is a family-friendly event and preference will be given to films appropriate for all-ages viewing. Submissions not suitable for all-ages will be considered for late night screenings.
- Submissions must be postmarked by April 4, 2014
- Films received postmarked after April 4, 2014 may still be considered for screening, but will not be entered into competition.
- In order to be considered for competition, films must have been completed within the last two calendar years (January 31, 2012 through April 4, 2014).
- Films will not be selected for competition more than once, although films previously in competition may be considered for screening as a non-competition film.
- Two (2) copies of each film must be submitted in a DVD Region 1 format. If you need to do a digital submission, please contact email@example.com
- Entrant will allow usage of material from their press kit, if one was submitted, for promotional use.
- All films entered must fall under at least one of the primary genres listed on the entry form.
- All submissions must be made by the filmmaker(s). No anonymous submissions will be accepted.
- All foreign language films must have English subtitles or be dubbed in English.
- If a watermarked version of the film is submitted for the pre-screening process, a non-watermarked version of the film must be sent after notification of selection or it will not be screened.
If you have additional questions about the Film Festival contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in submitting a non-competition film, contact email@example.com
To complete the 2014 Film Festival Submission Form, CLICK HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page for a PDF version of the submission form.