The New York City medical examiner announced Friday that actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died from a toxic mix of drugs.
His death was ruled as accidental. The NYC ME says Hoffman's death was the result of the combination of heroin, cocaine, amphetamines and benzodiazepines, which are psychoactive drugs.
On February 2, Hoffman, 46, was found with a needle in his arm, and heroin was discovered in his Manhattan apartment. Authorities also found unused syringes, a charred spoon and various prescription medications, including a drug used to treat heroin addiction, a blood-pressure medication and a muscle relaxant.
The Oscar winner who starred in numerous movies and stage productions, had talked about his struggles with substance abuse. He told CBS, "It was all that [drugs and alcohol], yeah, it was anything I could get my hands on... I liked it all," Hoffman said. Eventually he decided to get treatment. "I went [to rehab], I got sober when I was 22 years old. You get panicked... and I got panicked for my life. It really was just that."