Philip Seymour Hoffman’s apparent heroin overdose may have been caused by the potent heroin that has killed dozens of people since it arrived on the streets on the east coast. Hoffman, who has appeared in 50 films over the past 25 years, was found dead with a needle still in his arm, according to “Fox and Friends” live on Monday morning, Feb. 3.
Bags of a substance believed to be heroin were found nearby Hoffman’s body. This could be the same heroin, which is combined with the drug fentanyl, that has killed dozens of people on the east coast in the past few weeks. According to Fox 411 today, the deaths from this strong batch were first reported in Pittsburg.
Heroin, which is a strong opiate, is combined with fentanyl, which is also a strong opiate, in this new “bad batch” of heroin, which is selling on the streets today. Police are looking into the possibility that Hoffman got a hold of this drug.
The drug is killing people because of its strength. When a heroin user injects the drug, there is a certain amount needed for each individual to achieve that desired high of the drug. When the user uses the same amount of this “bad batch” of heroin that they usually use, it results in an overdose because of the potency. This has led to at least 100 deaths on the east coast in the previous weeks.
Hoffman was found dead at his rented office, just blocks from his home. A friend went to look for him when he failed to pick up his three kids. This is when his friend found him dead. The Hoffman family thanks everyone for the outpouring of love since his death was announced, but they are asking for some privacy today.
Hoffman’s body wasn’t removed from his office in New York City until after 6 p.m. Sunday night. He was found dead earlier in the day by his friend. A neighbor saw Hoffman at the store on Saturday and said he “looked gray, not good.”
Hoffman’s body will undergo an autopsy today, which should indicate his official cause of death. Hoffman had been 23 years sober when he fell off the wagon last year and did some time in a rehab.