The Mayor's Commission on People with Disabilities of Philadelphia works to ensure that the disability community has a voice in City Government and receives equity in City services. Other goals include the elimination of all types of barriers (attitudinal, architectural, communication and programmatic), combating prejudice, discrimination, and promoting disability awareness. The Commission believes all people have the right to equal access to opportunity.
The Scholarship Fund for Students with Disabilities was established by the Mayor’s Commission to provide financial assistance to students who are pursuing post-secondary education or training. Students attending (or planning to attend) an undergraduate, graduate, technical, or vocational program will be considered for the scholarships.
1. Applicant must be a Philadelphia resident.
2. Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
3. Applicant must have a disability, as defined by the Rehab Act/ADA.
4. Applicant must be pursuing undergraduate, vocational, technical or graduate education.
5. Application must be accompanied by two letters of recommendation (one of which must be from school personnel) and most recent transcript.
6. Proof of application and/or acceptance from the post-secondary institution.
The following criteria will also be used to select recipients:
Demonstrated commitment to disability awareness
Priority given to full-time students
MAYOR'S COMMISSION ON PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
To the Applicant: Please complete the application form below. In addition to this form, submit transcripts from the school you are currently attending or other programs you most recently attended, and two letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters must be from an educator familiar with your work.
______________________________ Zip _________________________
Telephone (including best time to call): Email Address:
Social Security Number:
High School attended and date of graduation:
Are you currently attending a post-secondary institution? Which?
Post-secondary Institution you plan to attend (if different from above):
How did you learn about this scholarship?
I will use the scholarship award for: (check one)
____ Undergraduate, technical, or other training program
____ Graduate school program
Please answer the following question and attach your answers to this form: (Limit your answers to no less than one paragraph and no more than one page per question)
1. What are your future goals and plans?
2. How has your disability impacted upon the pursuit of your academic goals?
3. How have you overcome the challenges with which you have been presented by your special needs? (Please be specific)
4. We are pleased you are pursuing further education to better your own opportunities. In what ways will you contribute to broadening opportunities for people with disabilities?
5. How do you plan to use the scholarship money?
6. What else would you like us to know about you?
Incomplete application will not be considered.
______ Completed application
______ Responses to questions
______ Two letters of reference
______ Proof of acceptance or attendance at postsecondary institution
Please submit completed application to:
Charles W. Horton Jr., Executive Director
Mayor’s Commission on People with Disabilities
1401 JFK Boulevard, Rm. 900 MSB, Philadelphia, PA 19102
215 686-4555 Fax
Deadline for receipt of applications is September 20, 2013