A horrendous tragedy that will live with the family of Emma Sloan forever did not have to happen. This young 14-year-old Dublin teenager was having a nice dinner with her loving family when she mistakenly ate a satay sauce which was made from peanuts. Her mother who had been eating at the Chinese restaurant with her thought that the sauce was curry. The teen began to experience breathing difficulties according to Opposing Views.
Not having a potentially lifesaving Epipen with them which would have dramatically halted the allergic reaction, Emma’s mother rushed to a nearby Pharmacy. With her daughter’s life in the balance, Emma’s mother Caroline pleaded with the Pharmacist to sell her an Epipen.
Instead of allowing Emma’s mother the opportunity to save her daughter’s life, the pharmacist rejected her request to purchase the Epipen. According to Opposing Views he instead informed her that she should take her daughter to an emergency room.
One of every parent’s most horrible nightmares began to unfold in front of Caroline Sloan’s eyes as she pleaded to no avail with the resistant pharmacist as her daughter lay in the street in anaphylactic shock.
The tragedy of Emma’s condition was further compounded by the Pharmacist decision to possibly ignore any medical oath he had taken. His offering no assistance when it was clear that a medical emergency of life or death was before him was morally and professionally troublesome. His common professional sense should have over-ruled his aversion to help.
Unfortunately Emma succumbed to the allergic reaction which proved deadly. Her mother and family are now left with troubling unanswered questions concerning why professional help was not rendered. Fortunately, “Both police and the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland are currently investigating the young girl’s tragic death,” suggested Opposing Views.
Copyright © 2013 Kevin Fobbs. Subscribe above to receive email updates whenever Kevin Fobbs publishes on Examiner.com.