PetSmart is more than a store that sells pet supplies and it's more than PetSmart Charities that schedules special "Adopt-a-thon" weekends -- the next one being in November. Most, if not all of PetSmart stores also offer pet training and all of them have pet grooming. There are many locations that offer PetsHotel, their own version of doggie daycare. And, more than half of the locations have Banfield, The Pet Hospital.
Have you ever wondered how PetSmart started? This writer did and with a little research found out the following:
- PetSmart is the result of an idea formed by Jim and Janice Dougherty in 1986
- In 1987, the couple opened the first two PetFood Warehouse stores in Arizona, where PetSmart is still based
- The name and logo were changed to PETsMART in 1989 after adding fish and some birds to their inventory
- In 1991, PetsMart starts selling lovebirds, cockatiels, parakeets, canaries and doves and open their first equine department
- Luv-A-Pet Adoption Center becomes a permanent and full-time part of all PetsMart stores in 1992
- PETsMART, Inc. buys Unipet Distributors, taking over two Pet Food Supermarts and three Pet Fair stores in 1993
- In 1994, PETsMART forms PETsMART Charities, Inc. and buys Weisheimer Companies, Inc., which operates 29 PETZAZZ stores
- PetsMart has 320 stores and more than 10,000 associates in 1996
- In 1997, PetsMart opened a store in Evansville, IN at 215 N. Burkhardt Road. Jim, the current manager, would only say that he has worked there a very, very long time when asked
- In 2002, PetsMart begins testing PETsHOTEL and more than half of the stores have clinics operated by Banfield, The Pet Hospital
- Seven more PETsHOTELs are opened, and they start PetPerks, a customer loyalty program in 2003
- PetSmart opens their 50th PetsHotel in 2006 and announced a plan to open a total of 435
- In 2007, the 3 millionth homeless pet is adopted from an in-store center! PetSmart also opens their 1,000th store
- PetSmart opens a store in Owensboro, KY at 5241 Frederica Street in August of 2008. The manager's name is Scott and he has worked there since the store opened.
In an interview with Scott, this writer learned that all Pet Trainers and Pet Groomers are trained through the company. The Owensboro store is open Monday-Saturday from 9AM-9PM and Sunday 10AM-6PM. Grooming starts two hours earlier.