Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

Petco lawsuit: 10 y/o boy dies after rat bite, family sues Petco

A Petco lawsuit has been filed by a family after a rat from a Petco store bit their son and infected him with rat-bite fever. His main symptoms? Severe stomach pain and a fever. The boy, Aidan Pankey, died within hours of becoming infected. On Feb. 26, MSN reported that the Pankey family filed the lawsuit in San Diego County seeking unspecified damages.

"We are deeply saddened by the Pankey family's tragic loss. The health and safety of people and pets is always a top priority, and we take the family's concerns very seriously," Petco said in a statement.

The Petco lawsuit is very serious and so are the allegations against the company. The rat was purchased by the boy's grandmother as a "friend" for his female pet rat. He had the rat for about two weeks before he came down with streptobacillus moniliformis infection (commonly known as rat-bite fever). The family believes that the rat was infected when it was purchased and lab results have proven that to be the case.

"It's a means to ensure this doesn't happen again. Apparently there was some breakdown in procedures. They want tighter controls," said attorney John Gomez of the lawsuit.

The Petco lawsuit is very important for the Pankey family however the company does warn about rat-bite fever on their website and in their informational packets in store. It's unknown how a judge will rule in a case like this. Do you think Petco should be held responsible?

Aidan Pankey was just 10-years-old.

© Effie Orfanides 2014

Report this ad