Many feel giving a pet gift is a fun thing to do. However, pets are sometimes harmed by a gift that seems to be perfect for the occasion.
Each year cats and dogs end up at the veterinarian’s office because a gift was swallowed that was intended to be a toy.
Sometimes pet treats are purchased that are harmful and pets are made ill by the contents. Such things may not happen often, but when it happens to your pet, that is often enough to destroy your world.
Before buying any gift for a pet, check with the owner to see about allergies and other health issues a pet may have. Be sure any food items purchased are made in the USA, as many pet owners prefer these.
According to ASPCA.org pets will suffer needlessly because a kind hearted person gave a gift that was not what they thought it would be. Read some details here that are shared from that site:
Looking to stuff your pet's stockings? Choose gifts that are safe.
- Dogs have been known to tear their toys apart and swallowing the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible.
- Long, stringy things are a feline's dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that's too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer—and tons of play sessions together.
This year before giving a gift for any pet, think twice and ask the owner what a good gift might be.
Would you enjoy receiving notices when articles are written by this writer about Pets, Healthy Living, or Nutrition? Please use the subscribe button with this article or one of the links in this paragraph to connect.
Do you have an event or an idea for an article or want your group or business promoted without cost here? Please feel free to send details through Facebook.