Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. General Pets

Pet dog saves man from house fire in Lawrenceburg, Indiana

A dog in Dearborn County, Indiana is getting the credit for saving his master from a fire which destroyed their house.

More Photos

Maverick, a 2 year old mutt, reportedly alerted his owner Steven George after the smoke alarm in their house began sounding this morning. The fire happened around 8:30 a.m. on Main Street in Lawrenceburg, which is about 30 miles from Cincinnati.

George was taking a shower and says Maverick came into the bathroom, barking loudly. George was confused at first, because the dog isn't normally allowed in that part of the house. But once he turned off the water and realized the smoke alarms were going off, he knew why Maverick had been so insistent.

George's home was destroyed by the fire, which moved so quickly that it took five fire departments to put it out.  But George and Maverick escaped safely.

There's no word yet on a cause. The Red Cross is helping George and Maverick find a place to stay.

For more on this story, watch this report from Local 12 WKRC-TV.

Comments

Advertisement

Life

  • Dan Savage
    Dan Savage cares about LGBT youth, bullying and saving lives
    Today's Buzz
  • Raku
    Teachers and students can use this summer to learn a new skill
    Camera
    15 Photos
  • Beach body
    Fitness: Earn your beach body badge with bootcamp classes
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Greek wine
    Unwind with these delicious wines: The thrilling wines of Greece
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Mandy Moore
    Exclusive interview with Celebrity Mandy Moore concerning animal activism
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Educational family vacations
    Find out how to take an educational family vacation that doesn't break the bank
    Camera
    9 Photos