Allstate Good Hand News
I received a great newsletter from my Allstate provider that gave some handy hints to rid pest naturally, so I thought I would share
Be a Menace to Mice
- Did You Know? A house mouse can squeeze through a hole the diameter of a dime.
No cat? Borrow some cat hair from a friend or a groomer, and place it around holes.
Better yet, block those holes altogether. Stuff them with copper mesh, which won’t rust like steel wool. Cover larger openings and the space behind air vents with hardware cloth that has a mesh size less than a quarter-inch.
- Peppermint has been an anti-mouse strategy for centuries. Some swear the strong smell keeps mice from being able to find food. Soak cotton balls in pure peppermint oil (found in health-food stores) and place in small cups near their entry points.
- Planting peppermint in your yard may help too.
Keep Ants Far Away
- Ants depend on their scent trail: Wipe it out with undiluted white vinegar.
- They also avoid cayenne pepper. Other pests, including cockroaches and squirrels, avoid it too.
- Ants can’t digest cornmeal, but they don’t know that. Put piles of it near a problem anthill, and ants will eat it and slowly starve.
These solutions can take some time, but it’s safe for kids and pets.
Banish Biting Bugs
- Mosquitoes track you by the carbon dioxide you exhale. Mask it with citronella. Lemongrass (not the citronella plant) is the source of this oil. Plant this lovely ornamental around your patio or in portable pots.
- Bedbugs don’t like extremes. Chill a room at 32°F or below for several days to stop these pests cold. Wash and dry bedding at the hottest settings for at least 15 minutes. You can also set the legs of your bed in plastic cups filled with a little mineral oil, to keep bugs from climbing up.
- Many insects go toward the light. But bugs avoid yellow bug lights—use them near doorways, driveways and sidewalks. Place mercury vapour or incandescent lights around the perimeter of the property to lure insects away.
Just a few fun facts to think about
Thank you Allstate
Information provided by Gary Jones Allstate Insurance 714) 962-3391