Fall is fast approaching. Along with the beautiful colors of the season change, also comes cooler weather. There Can't be a more perfect time to whip up a big pot of soup! Potato soup takes a little time to make, but it is so worth it.
What You Need:
- 4-5 pounds of russet potatoes (can be made with any other type of potato that you have on hand except sweet potatoes)
- 1 bunch of green onions chopped
- 1 bunch of leeks (optional) they add a mild onion flavor
- 2 cans of condensed cheddar cheese soup
- one 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese, mild, medium, or sharp whatever your preference
- One pound of bacon cooked and crumbled (optional)
- One 14-15oz can of chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Sour Cream
What You Do:
Place washed potatoes on a baking sheet, bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour or until fork tender. When they are done remove them and let them cool enough to handle. Once cool peel and chop into one inch cubes. You can make them bigger or smaller depending on how chunky you would like your soup.
While potatoes are cooling Saute leeks in the butter. I use the pot I am going to make the soup in to cut down on dishes. Once the leeks are translucent place in a blender or food processor with 1/2 a cup of the chicken broth. Add in one cup of the diced potatoes and a little more broth if necessary. Pulse until smooth. This is going to help you thicken the soup.
Add the leek mixture, both cans of cheese soup, the rest of the chicken broth and half of the shredded cheese to a large pot. Stir to combine. Add in the potatoes and simmer 20-30 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Ladle into bowls and garnish with more cheese, the bacon, green onions and/or sour cream as desired.
This is a nice thick and hearty soup. If you prefer a thinner soup skip pureeing the potatoes and leeks. If not using leeks you can use some of the green onions or skip it entirely. This recipe is a basic foundation, feel free to let your creativity flow and make it your own!