A perfect game by Dennis Johnson at AMF Venice Lanes and a 299 by Jerry Weese at Treasure Lanes in Port Charlotte are the headline performances in this week's Examiner.com high-score report from the Sarasota-Manatee-Charlotte County area.
Johnson strung 12 consecutive strikes during competition in the Honest A/C of Venice League, in which he carries a 199 average as compared to the 203 figure he compiled in the same league last season.
For Johnson, it was his fourth certified 300 game, after he previously turned the trick in three consecutive years (2007, 2008 and 2009), all at the Venice center. He finished the night with a 672 series, and he also posted a 710 series that included a 275 game in the Amore's Italian Restaurant League.
Only a stubborn final-ball 4-pin kept Weese from perfection, as he completed a 788 series with a 299 score in the Beef O'Brady's/Parquette Insurance League, where he carries a 222 average. He opened the set with games of 258 and 231.
Weese also posted some other recent high scores at Treasure Lanes, including a 276 game in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Men's League and a 728 series that included a 268 game in the Aero Sol Tuesday Men's League.
The top performance by a female bowler was turned in by Shanti Schrock, who blasted games of 232, 202 and 276 en route to a 170-over-average 710 series in the All-American Heating & Cooling League at Sarasota Lanes.
Four bowlers rolled games in the 280s with the help of 10 consecutive strikes: James DeWitt, with a 288 as part of a 771 series in the Environmental A/C League at AMF Gulf Gate; Darrel Wilson, with a 288 (697 series) in the Adam & Eve Mixed League at Bowland Port Charlotte; John Holmes, with a 285 to complete a 162-over-average 732 set in the Broad Street Bar & Grill League at Treasure Lanes; and Saul Insignares, with a 280 to end a 726 series in the La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes.
Some far-over-average performances were achieved by: Justin Campbell, with a 101-over 279 game (645 series) in the Monday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl; Troy Hoostal, with a 184-over 751 series in the Environmental A/C League at AMF Gulf Gate; and Lolita Stone, with a 143-over 605 series in the Lemon Bay Mixed League at Englewood Bowl.
Among other high-score reports from area bowling establishments:
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Darrel Wilson 288, James Creutz 279, Dave Jodoin 278-719, William Grey 277-700, Jon Cuebas 267, Joe Zulla 267, Jim Ulrich 266, George Benda 265, Billy Seymour 742, Mike Janosik 720, Ed Burlison 714, Tom Janosik 713, Ray Tippins 701; Ann Faraldo 240, Mickeal Paige 235-644, Penny Crandall 234-625, Ashley Schwartz 623, Lisa Molitor 614.
- TREASURE LANES: Mike Janosik 279-753 and 266-746, Cory King 279, Mike Aleshire 269, Doug Kirk 269, Jim Lugiewicz 266-719, Dave Mathews 710, Charles Winston 708, Donnie Schwartz 705; Dawn Smith 279-636, Jodi Suares 248-674, Renae Gross 235-662, Dale Miller 227, Jennifer Peacock 225-616, Bobbie Jo Weese 650.
- AMF VENICE: Ryan Williams 275, Jess Carter 266, John McMahon 266, Shawn Poneleit 732, Bill Magruder 701, Neil Knopf 700; Dolores Meyers 243-658, Heatherly Faulkner 234-625, Mary Stary 231.
- SARASOTA LANES: Richard McLaughlin Jr. 275, Brian Johnson 269, Jesse Hawver 268-712, Danny Shaffer 268, Steven Baran 267-724; Shanti Schrock 247.
- AMF GULF GATE: Dale Harshbarber 279, James Reier 279, William Wagner 270, Robert Oden 265-707, John Thompson 716, Javier Macias 707, Justin Brinkmann 703.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]