The 2013 People’s Choice Awards aired on Jan. 9 on CBS and the star-studded TV event was filled with spectacular red carpet moments, as indicated by these photos. Taylor Swift, Adam Levine, Ellen DeGeneres, Jennifer Aniston, Ian Somerhalder, Lea Michelle and other favorite TV, music and movie celebrities all made a grand statement when they attended this year’s PCAs on Wednesday night.
Taylor Swift won one of the evening’s first awards for Favorite Female Artist. Ellen DeGeneres won yet again for Favorite Daytime TV host. Adam Levin and Maroon 5 took home an award for Favorite Band.
Fun facts about the People’s Choice Awards:
- 2013 is the 39th year for the People’s Choice Awards.
- This year, more than 475 million votes were cast, nearly triple the amount that were cast in the last presidential election.
- In 2013, Sandra Bullock was recognized as this year’s Best Humanitarian.
- The People's Choice Awards are different from most Hollywood award shows. Nominees are first determined by a "front row panel of over 6,000 entertainment enthusiasts" recruited by EW editors. The panel votes on the various categories, then the public gets to vote for the winners via the Internet.
- You never know what's going to happen at this live awards banquet. When funnyman Jim Carrey won the award for “Liar Liar” for Favorite Comedy Motion Picture, he jumped up from his table, lifted his chair high above his head, and shook it in manic glee as he danced up to the stage.
- Past hosts include Queen Latifah (2007-2010), Craig Ferguson (2006), Jason Alexander (2005), Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer (2004).
- Several performers have won multiple People’s Choice Awards over the years: Garth Brooks (11), Tim Allen (10), Reba McEntire (8), Julia Roberts (8), and Oprah Winfrey (4).
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite television shows and stars.