It was the first sellout for a wrestling event at Boston’s Case Center (attendance: 1,664), and the first time the Nittany Lions and Terriers had faced each other in a dual meet… and, sadly, in both cases, those firsts may well be lasts, as Boston University had announced that this would be the last season for its wrestling program.
These dynamics were instrumental in Penn State coach Cael Sanderson scheduling a dual meet with Boston in the Terriers’ home gym.
After Sanderson learned the Boston University wrestling program would be cut after the 2013-2014 wrestling season, he asked Terriers’ head coach — and fellow Iowa State alumnus — Carl Adams if there was anything he could do to help, according to Onward State, a Penn State-oriented website.
Penn State won eight of ten matches, scoring bonus points in six bouts. While the home team forfeited one match, Boston got two wins -- 133-pounder Dane Harlowe, and, at 157, 2013 NWCA All-Star Classic participant Nestor Taffur -- and none of the Terriers were pinned, an accomplishment noted by Sanderson.
“You have to give Boston some credit,’’ Sanderson told the Penn State Radio Network. “We have a pretty good pinning team so it’s a credit to them and their attitude.’’
The 2004 Olympic gold medalist-turned-coach also commented on Boston U’s sellout.
“Dual meets are very big and people are getting out there and supporting their team,’’ he said.
Sanderson, who was mobbed for autographs by Boston fans after the dual, earned his 60th victory as the Penn State head coach.
- 125: No. 3 Nico Megaludis (PSU) maj. dec. Bubba McGinley (BU), 15-3
- 133: Dane Harlowe (BU) dec. No. 11 Jimmy Gulibon (PSU), 1-0 (rt)
- 141: No. 11 Zain Retherford (PSU) tech. fall Peter Ishiguro (BU), 17-2 (4:48)
- 149: Zack Beitz (PSU) dec. Nick Tourville (BU), 9-3
- 157: No. 13 Nestor Taffur (BU) dec. James Vollrath (PSU), 5-4
- 165: No. 1 David Taylor (PSU) tech. fall Mitchell Wightman (BU), 21-5 (6:57)
- 174: No. 3 Matt Brown (PSU) tech. fall-4 Eric Des Lauriers (BU), 22-7 (6:04)
- 184: Wes Phipps (PSU) maj. dec. Aaron Conrad (BU), 9-1
- 197: No. 4 Morgan McIntosh (PSU) wins by forfeit
- Hwt: No. 10 Jimmy Lawson (PSU) dec. Kevin Innis (BU), 10-3
Want to know more about the demise of Boston U wrestling? Take a look at College Wrestling Examiner's announcement of the school's decision to axe the program... and an article about the documentary "It Hurts to Win" chronicling the program's last season.
The season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, the IOC and Olympic wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!
College Wrestling 101: Links to College Wrestling Examiner articles answering basic questions about wrestling, including rules, scoring, uniforms, more