Penang or Phenaeng curry is the mildest curry dish. Often thought to be a Thai dish, this recipe originates in Malaysia. We used beef but the dish can be made with chicken, shrimp or tofu as well.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
• ½ lb cubed beef
• 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
• 2 cups soybeans
• 1 cup sliced bamboo shoots
• 2 green onions
• 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (petite)
• 2 tbsp Penang curry paste
• 2 kaffir lime leaves
• 1 lemongrass
• Fry the beef cubes in some sesame or olive oil until brown on all sides.
• Add the coconut milk and Penang curry paste and bring to a boil until curry is incorporated.
• Smash the lemongrass with the back of a heavy knife until outside skin breaks to release the flavors and cut in small pieces.
• Add to the curry with bamboo shoots and let simmer for about 30 minutes on medium while covered.
• Lower heat and add sliced green onions and all other vegetables. Mix well and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
Serve the curry in a bowl and top with fresh cut green onions. Jasmine rice is a perfect side dish but any other white rice can be served as well.