PBS' Great Performances announced Jan. 21 it will present “Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration,” highlights of the 1992 star-studded concert from Madison Square Garden featuring Dylan, George Harrison, the Band, Richie Havens, Roger McGuinn, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young and more in March. (Check local listings.)
The concert, which, according to PBS, sold out 18,200 seats in 70 minutes, gathered an amazing group of performers to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Dylan's 1962 debut album “Bob Dylan.”
The special features performances by The Band, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash, Eric Clapton, Shawn Colvin, George Harrison, Richie Havens, Roger McGuinn, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vedder, Ron Wood, Neil Young, and more.
Some of the highlights: Tracy Chapman sings a haunting rendition of "The Times they Are A-Changin'," and Stevie Wonder performs "Blowin' in the Wind." Richie Havens, who first met Dylan at the folk clubs and coffee houses of Greenwich Village in the 1960s, sings "Just Like A Woman." John Mellencamp gives a highly-charged performance of "Like a Rolling Stone." George Harrison contributes a brilliant version of "Absolutely Sweet Marie." The final set features Dylan himself.
“Bob Dylan: The 30(th) Anniversary Concert Celebration” also features rare archival performance and interview footage of Dylan. On March 4, "Bob Dylan - The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration - Deluxe Edition" will be released on CD, DVD, and Blu-ray by Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings with previously unreleased material including rehearsal footage, interviews and more.
Partial Song Listing (subject to change)
- “Like a Rolling Stone” (John Mellencamp)
- “Blowin' in the Wind” (Stevie Wonder)
- “Masters of War” (Eddie Vedder)
- “You Ain't Goin' Nowhere” (Shawn Colvin, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash)
- “Just Like a Woman” (Richie Havens)
- “Seven More Days” (Ron Wood)
- “All Along the Watchtower” (Neil Young)
- “Don't Think Twice, It's All Right” (Eric Clapton)
- “When I Paint My Masterpiece” (The Band)
- “Absolutely Sweet Marie” (George Harrison)
- “Everybody Must Get Stoned” (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers)
- “Mr. Tambourine Man” (Roger McGuinn)
- “My Back Pages: (Bob Dylan and ensemble)
- “Knockin' on Heaven's Door” (Bob Dylan and ensemble)