According to a note posted today on the Paul McCartney Japanese tour website by a Japan concert organizer. McCartney quietly left Japan May 26 on a charter flight for an unspecified destination after being treated in a hospital for a virus infection. The note also said discussions are taking place to reschedule the Japanese shows that were canceled.
A translation of the Japanese statement reads, “Paul has recovered from his illness, checked out the hotel before noon to an airport, and left Japan on a chartered flight. We apologize for not reporting this earlier. Related to the future [concerts], Paul himself hopes to return to Japan for more concerts as soon as possible, and we [organizers] will negotiate with the artist side.
"We deeply apologize for any inconvenience it caused to the fans looking forward to the concert and any other parties involved for having cancelled the concert this time."
A separate note said that refund requests are being accepted through June 9. The cancellation notice of one promoter, Kyodo Tokyo, said, in a rough translation, “To everyone of the fans had been looking forward to the concert, is a result that does not meet your expectations, deeply apologize.”
McCartney initially announced May 16, he would move his May 17, National Stadium show in Tokyo, scheduled to be his first in Japan on the tour, to May 19, because of his illness. On May 18, it was announced both National Stadium shows would be postponed. The rest of the Japanese shows were postponed May 19.
“Paul McCartney will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancellation is unavoidable. He was hoping to be better but the doctors have ordered him complete rest. Paul has been extremely moved by the messages from his fans and is upset to be letting them down. All possibilities to find a solution to reschedule these shows as soon as possible are being explored.”
“I was really looking forward to playing in Japan again after we had such an amazing time here in November. So to cancel these shows as well as the National Stadium shows is hugely disappointing for me as well,” Paul McCartney wrote in a response to the statement. “I'd like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding. I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul.”
A statement was issued by McCartney in Japan confirming he had been hospitalized for a virus, but that he would be fine. “Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo,” the statement began. “He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.”
Nurse MaryAnne Laffin told Beatles Examiner that McCartney, depending on what he was being treated for and his condition, needed the rest in the hospital. "He needs to be better before flying," she said.
Another show scheduled for Seoul, South Korea was also postponed. The next shows are in the U.S. starting June 14 in Lubbock, Texas.