Starting October 11, the patriot "Truckers to Shutdown America" plans to shut down Washington, D.C. by intentionally clogging the inner loop of the beltway. On Monday, US News and World Report said the group also seeks to arrest members of Congress they say are violating the Constitution.
Last week, US News and World report said that Zeeda Andrews, a former country music singer helping promote the protest, said the group might cancel the ride if lawmakers agreed to demands that included impeaching Barack Obama.
But Earl Conlon, a Georgia trucker handling logistics for the protest, said the truckers are coming "whether they like it or not," and plan to shut down three lanes of the Beltway with trucks.
"We're not asking for impeachment, we're asking for the arrest of everyone in government who has violated their oath of office," he said. "We want these people arrested, and we're coming in with the grand jury to do it."
"We are going to ask the law enforcement to uphold their constitutional oath and make these arrests. If they refuse to do it, by the power of the people of the United States and the people's grand jury, they don't want to do it, we will. ... We the people will find a way," he added.
Among those Conlon wants arrested are House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the California Democrat who was the subject of a White House petition demanding she be tried for treason as a result of her strident anti-gun position.
"It's almost certain that anyone attempting to 'arrest' a member of Congress would be arrested themselves for attempted kidnapping," Steven Nelson wrote.
Conlon said they intend to keep things peaceful, but will "do what we have to do" if things get ugly.
"If all I get is one or two congressmen walked out of there in handcuffs, that will be a shot across the bow that will ripple across all branches of government," Conlon said.
On Saturday, the group posted a series of grievances against the government, listing, among other things, Obamacare, the TSA, the Department of Homeland Security and government actions under the War Powers Act.
Andrews said in the article that Barack Obama has been plotting with others to overturn the U.S. Constitution long before he became president.
Now, Andrews said, America is "facing the fruition of his lifelong agenda, with the help of corrupt politicians, and individuals in authoritative positions."
These politicians, she added, are "boldly attacking, and eliminating, systematically, one by one, our rights and our liberties which are protected by our Constitution."
The protest coincides with a "Million Vets March" to reopen memorials shut down by the Park Service as a result of the government shutdown brough about by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's refusal to consider any GOP proposal to fund the government while either defunding or delaying parts of Obamacare.
Update: Organizer Ben Pam later said the group has no intent to arrest anyone, despite earlier reporting by US News and World Report.
- Patriot 'Truckers' group to hold convoy to Facebook HQ, mulls class action suit
- Facebook yanks popular 'Truckers To Shut Down America' page
- Park Service: No to vets, yes to immigration rally on 'closed' National Mall
- Amber Alert website down due to shutdown, Michelle Obama's 'Let's Move' site up
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Obama's Park Service kicks owners out of private Lake Mead homes over shutdown
- Park Ranger admits being told to make life as difficult for people as possible
- Democrat votes to arrest military chaplains who minister to troops during shutdown
- Obama Closes Down the Atlantic Ocean?
- House to Chuck Hagel: Don't arrest military chaplains during shutdown
- Obama supporters threaten to kill protesters at Overpasses for Obama Impeachment
- The left’s shutdown battle cry: Kill them all!
- Deranged: Cher suggests killing Tea Party Republicans on Twitter
- Newsweek cover depicts President Obama as 'god of all things'
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.