When people are asked what their favorite food is, many respond with "pasta." Even though it is easy to grab a package of PastaRoni off the shelves, it is much healthier to make the dishes yourself. One of my favorites was always Shells and White Cheddar. Tonight I was craving some, but decided to make it myself instead of running to the store. I didn't have all of the right ingredients, but with a little creativity I was able to create a creamy mozzarella shells dish that was wonderful. The result was a delicious pasta recipe that tasted better than the prepackaged kind.
- 1 bag small or medium shell pasta
- 1 cups milk (or a reasonable substitute)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Parmesan (optional)
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions.
- In a bowl, mix milk and mozzarella cheese.
- Microwave cheese mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds.
- Add butter to cheese mixture and mix well. If it is too sticky, add a little more milk.
- Combine pasta shells and cheese mixture and stir well.
- If desired, sprinkle some Parmesan on top just before serving.
When I created this PastaRoni copycat recipe, I was out of milk and used half n' half as a substitute. Because of this, you may need to use less or a little more milk than the recipe indicates.
This creamy mozzarella shells recipe was absolutely delicious and was way better than anything in a box. Even my preschooler, who is extremely picky, loved this dish and had three servings! It is also much healthier than the boxed version. One serving of PastaRoni, which is about 1/3 of a box, contains 630 mg of sodium! I don't know about you, but in the past I would eat an entire box by myself! Do your taste buds and your body a favor and make it from scratch instead.