Today’s recipe feature is Pasta with Artichokes, Olives and Tomatoes. A delicious way to go meatless, pasta is dressed with fabulous flavors for a filling dish. Serve with a salad of greens and a nice slice of crusty Italian bread and you’ll have a fabulous meal. Healthy and joyous eating!
Pasta with Artichokes, Olives and Tomatoes (Recipe courtesy Body+Soul)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti (or gluten-free variety, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced, lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced crosswise
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more serving
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
Stir in artichokes and cook until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add olives and half of the tomatoes; cook until tomatoes start to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta to skillet. Stir in remaining tomatoes, oil, cheese, and basil. Thin with reserved pasta water if necessary to coat the spaghetti. Serve with additional cheese. Serving yield = four servings.