Pasadena is looking good for 128, isn't it? And so it deserves a party!
Pasadena’s 128th year of incorporation will be celebrated today Sunday, June 22, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The Pasadena Museum of History (PMH) will be open to everyone with a special program that will include entertainment, cake cutting, family activities, and free transportation from the Rose Bowl for all.
Starting at noon shuttles will transport party-goers from the Rose Bowl’s Lots F and K to PMH. Entertainment at the museum will start at 1 p.m. and will continue through 4 p.m. with an important cake cutting ceremony at 1:30 p.m.
Don’t worry, you will see the cake cutting and get to eat it too! Several Pasadena based companies, such as Jones Coffee Roasters and the Lemonade Brigade, will make it a total package with various complimentary beverages.
The entertainment schedule is exciting, thanks to the participation of multiple local artists, including:
- The Los Angeles Youth Guitar Orchestra, playing 1 p.m. This will be these 13 young musicians’ final local appearance before heading to Stuttgart, Germany for rehearsals and performances with German musicians as part of a cultural exchange program.
- Pasadena Pro Musica, the acclaimed choral group celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, will perform throughout the grounds following the cake cutting ceremony until 4:00 pm.
- Special, for-Happy-Birthday-Pasadena-Only, presentations by Mount Wilson Observatory/Carnegie Observatories, the Shumei Arts Council, and the Pasadena Red Cross.
- The craft workshops presented by the Shumei Arts Council and Art 2 Go will keep younger party guests busy with origami designs and the creation of a mini Rose Parade Float. In addition, brush painting artist Nan Rae will offer instruction in this ancient art form to both children and adults.
- The exhibition Crown City Jubilee will feature multiple Pasadena institutions that will be also commemorating their own anniversaries. Included will be the Pasadena Unified School District (140 years), Pasadena Public Library (130), Pasadena Tournament of Roses® (125), Vroman’s Bookstore (120), Mount Wilson Observatory (110), American Red Cross San Gabriel Pomona Valley Chapter (100), The Langham Huntington, Pasadena (100), Rose Bowl Game® (100), Westridge School (100), Pasadena City College (90), and Pasadena Museum of History itself, which celebrates 90 years since its founding in 1924.
- An Open House by the Finnish Folk Art Museum hosted by the Finlandia Foundation, Los Angeles Chapter.
- A Treasure Hunt will allow you to enter into a special drawing. One lucky winner will take home a real treasure, we’re told!
- Dot the Clown will be there, surrounded by Face Painting and Balloon Artist stations.
Sounds like a busy afternoon! And all of it free of charge and for everyone in the family. Join the party and help the City of Pasadena and the PMH celebrate!