One can live in Southern California without owning a car, but it’s next to impossible to live here—or even visit—without using a car. Bumming a ride from a neighbor, renting a car on occasion or using a taxi fill in the gaps in the public transportation system when the distances are too far to walk.
That’s where car-sharing networks such as Zipcar come in. Cars are parked at locations throughout a metropolitan area, and with the swipe of a card, members can hop behind the wheel and drive to their heart’s content.
The Pasadena Department of Transportation announced last week that it has partnered with Zipcar, Inc. to add 10 more locations with two cars each to the existing locations at Caltech and the Westgate Apartments. The new sites started rolling out this month, and according to the Zipcar website, most are up and running.
The new locations, west to east, are
- Green Street and De Lacey Avenue
- Fair Oaks Ave and Green Street
- Del Mar Gold Line Station at Arroyo Parkway and Cordova Street
- City Hall at Holly Street and Garfield Avenue
- Westin Hotel at Los Robles Avenue and Walnut Street
- Target at Oak Knoll Avenue and Colorado Boulevard
- Del Mar Avenue and Lake Avenue
- Mentor Avenue and Green Street
- Pasadena City College at North Bonnie Avenue and Colorado Boulevard
- Sierra Madre Villa Gold Line Station at Foothill Boulevard and Halstead Street
Zipcar memberships start at $6 per month or $60 per year. Car rentals in Pasadena range from $8.50 per hour or $69 per day to $11.50 per hour and $94 per day, depending on the day of the week. Rental prices include insurance and gasoline, according to the website. Locations and details of membership, reservations, and available cars are on the website.
Like this story?
If you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please post on Facebook at All Things Rose Parade or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Subscribe to Tournament of Roses Examiner by clicking the "Subscribe" link for the latest news and for upcoming announcements.