Hospitality is a theme this week. Make your guests comfortable by creating a comfy seat cushion for them from recycled shirts. See the slide show for step by step photos.
You will need:
A round laundry basket
6-10 old T shirts
1. Run a piece of twine straight across the top of the laundry basket (spanning the diameter). Tie it securely around the rim.
2. Run another piece of twine across the basket the exact same way, forming a cross with the other piece of twine. Don’t worry if the two strings do not cross exactly in the middle of the basket.
3. Find an empty space and run another piece of twine across the rim of the basket.
4. Since you want an uneven number of “spokes” for this weaving, take a piece of twine that is half the length of the ones that you just used. Loop it around the area where the other three pieces of twine meet in the middle and tie it to the rim of the basket to create a 7th spoke.
5. Lay a T-shirt flat on a table and cut 1 inch strips along the body. You will be cutting through both sides of the shirt at once to create loops of fabric.
6. Make a chain of two or three of the fabric loops. To make the chain, hold one loop and slip it through the second loop. Bring the first loop over the top of the second loop through the opening and tighten.
7. Using the same type of chain knot, attach your chain of fabric loops to the area where the spokes of twine meet in the middle.
8. Bring your chain through the middle of one of the sets of spokes. Going clockwise, skip the next set of spokes. Bring your chain through the middle of the next set. Skip the next.
9. Using this over under pattern, continue to add fabric loops to your chain, changing colors whenever you wish. Continue the pattern until your cushion is as big as you want it to be.
10. When your cushion is the right size, each time you go through a spoke for the last time, cut the twine from the edges of the basket and tie it tight around the outside of the cushion.
11. If your cushion is very heavy and starts to come apart, you can take small pieces of twine and thread them through the cushion to tie the loose spots together.