Ah, September! As we turn towards fall, pumpkin flavored everything seems to take center stage in culinary conversations. But another great staple of fall and winter is the glory that is comfort food.
And what's more comforting than a delicious grilled cheese sandwich?
Nothing, except maybe a grilled cheese with pesto that also incorporates a delicious Parmesan crust on the outside! The following recipe is adapted from this original, as seen on Two Peas and Their Pod.
Ingredients (per sandwich):
- Two slices bread of choice (that pictured uses honey oatmeal bread)
- 1 TBSP pesto with basil (that pictured uses Buitoli)
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese (or two if you're feeling that extra indulgence)
- Shredded Parmesan, for sprinkling
- Butter, to spread on the outside of the bread
- Spread pesto on the inside of one slice of bread.
- Add slice of cheese on top of pesto, then other piece of bread to close up the sandwich.
- Carefully butter the outside of one side of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan on the buttered side and place carefully, buttered side DOWN, in (unheated) skillet.
- Butter the side of the sandwich that's facing up (this should, of course, be the un-buttered side).
- Sprinkle Parmesan over the now buttered top of the sandwich.
- Set heat on skillet to medium high and keep watch over your sandwich, flipping when the bread and Parmesan crust are a golden brown.
- When both sides are browned and cheese is melted, slide the sandwich onto a plate and enjoy!
Try pairing this delicious sandwich with some vegetables sauteed in olive oil with garlic and basil to really accentuate the basil pesto and round out your meal.