The Boynton Beach, Fla. parents of a severely malnourished three-year-old boy were released from jail on Feb. 23 after being charged with felony child abuse.
KIRO reported on Feb. 24 that the parents, Champagne Gillis, 31, and her boyfriend, Thomas Phillips, 37, spent the weekend in jail after police were called to JFK Medical Center in Atlantis on Friday. Officials at JFK told police they were transporting a severely malnourished child to the emergency room at Palms West Children Hospital.
When police informed the parents that their baby boy would be hospitalized for several days, “the mother said they were busy and planned on working backstage at the “Rocky Horror Picture Show.”"
That’s when police arrested the neglectful parents.
The boy was described as weighing less than 25 pounds, and he had sores in his mouth which made it difficult for the boy to swallow. Gillis told police she brought the boy to the hospital because he was feeling ill. He had diarrhea and a 102-degree fever for about seven and 10 days before the hospital visit, according to an arrest report.
Gillis told police that her son didn’t like solid food; so the parents only fed him apple sauce or milk, ever since his birth.
Gillis also said that her son didn’t like toothbrushes; so she didn’t brush his teeth.
The mother thought that the sores in her son’s mouth were from the toddler biting his tongue. She assumed that the sores would just heal after a while.
The otherwise-engaged mom also confessed to police that “she smokes marijuana daily but keeps it away from her son by smoking it in the bedroom while the boy is with his father in another room.”
Gillis and Phillips spent the weekend in jail, but were released after they each posted a $3,000 bond.
The state Department of Children and Families is now investigating the parents.
- Mom charged after punching daughter and making her kneel in grits for 5 hours
- Teen dad sentenced after breaking 19 bones in newborn son
- Cops find mom passed out and living in storage unit with toddler
- Fla. auntie charged with abuse after zapping kids in homemade electric chair
- Mom charged after 2-year-old baby dies of methadone overdose
To receive e-mail alerts to Richard's Domestic Crimes articles, Subscribe Here to Get Instant Updates.
E-mail alerts are free, private and secure, and you won't get any ink on your fingers.